w

what do steve martin and i have in common?

NO, I WAS NOT BORN IN WACO, TEXAS, nor do I play the banjo. And no, I never worked at Disneyland, though these days I feel as if I live in a fairytale, if not a theme park, exactly. Lately, nonetheless, I have developed something in common with Steve Martin (and Amy Sedaris and Jon Stewart and a few other writers who get out of the house a little more frequently than I do). Somehow my upcoming corporate-dropout memoir ended up on the cover of the same catalog as their new books. Yup. “And I Shall Have Some Peace There” by Margaret Roach: There it is.

Imagine my surprise when a padded envelope arrived the other day at the Post Office. Nobody at my publisher had told me I had made the cover, let alone alongside such esteemed company. Nobody had told me there would be two pages about my book inside. I didn’t even know the catalogs were in the mail heading my way.

I opened the package, saw the contents, and squealed–but of course, as is the consequence of living a life of relative solitude, I had nobody to even show it to for days.

Now that I have had a chance to show it to my sister and two closest friends, I’m showing it to you.

You can read the whole fall-winter 2010-2011 Grand Central Publishing catalog here if you want to, or even download it as a pdf by clicking the imprint’s name under that season’s offerings.

You can also learn where the book got its name on this page.

Categoriesmy memoir
  1. Bob Scherer says:

I won’t bother reading those others but I will read yours. I’m sure that my wife will as well – she likes women writers & books about women. Yours fits both.
    Congrats & I hope it’s a best seller.
    Bob

2. mimi says:

Keep on rockin’ it, Margaret! No doubt that you have earned and deserve that position. Can’t wait to get the book! Happy spring.

3. Johanna says:

I love seeing how the publisher is positioning your book — it’s always interesting to me which sound bites are expected to do the selling!

Tick tock, can’t wait for it to hit the shelves!!!

4. Suzanne says:

Congrats to you….will read with pleasure having witnessed what a beautiful garden you have it seems your solitude has built serenity
    suzanne

1. Margaret says:

Welcome, gluttonforlife (great username!). Thank you for the kind wishes.

Speaking of which, thanks to all of you who have checked in to say something about this latest turn of events. Today the page proof arrived — yikes, typeset and everything — and I am pretty amazed. Life is sweet sometimes, and this is my sweet spring I guess.

5. Andrea Verberkmoes says:

A huge congratulations! The wonderful part is that it came to pass after you chose that road less traveled.

6. Delores says:

I look forward to reading your book. Congratulations on writing it and on being in such excellent company. I read your blog religiously and have learned alot plus feel like I’m in the company of a kindred spirit. My little piece of earth is my haven and I’m finding great creativity here – thanks for your inspiration. My wish for you is that your book is a bestseller. Cheers!

7. Toni Giarnese says:

This is terrific. I just bought your sister’s book and so did the the others in my writing group. It’s going to be our “text”..a great read and plenty to gnaw on.
    I look forward to your memoir – aren’t Amy, Steve and Jon the lucky ones!

8. Lafftur says:

OK, I really must have this book…pears AND Yeats on the cover? Margaret, this is absolutely inspired. Please tell me there will be an audio version — my eyes make reading tricky these days. Audible.com is my friend…and I hear it, in the deep heart’s core.

9. Alexa @ Invisible Bees says:

When I read the excerpt, I heard myself thinking a few things:

1. No matter how long it may have taken to prune away the suckers of your “Tolerances”, you are very brave to have left your high-profile role at MSLO and all the cosmopolitan trappings behind. So many people, myself included, look upon your role at MSLO with awe and envy, never recognizing what you {and no doubt others like you} gave to and gave up for the benefit the organization, us/readers and our culture at large.

2. How very brave to write about it with such transparency.

Forgive me as a stranger for being so personal. Compassion has not been my strong suit. But in just those few words in your excerpt, I’ve learned more about it and how to express it–toward myself and toward others.

10. Charity says:

Wish you could see my face now – beaming. And it’s 8:25 am after an interrupted night of sleep so that says a lot about how excited I am for you! Can’t wait to buy it!

11. Kali says:

Congratulations! The book cover is just exquisite! Your land, your garden, and now even your book cover personify Rumi’s words, “Let the beauty you love be what you do”.

12. Renie says:

Hooray Margaret. Those others should be honored to be in your company. Can’t wait to read it. (And I loved Marion’s book, too.)

13. Lisa-St. Marys ON says:

Good and bad things happen to great and not so great people. The difference is that you hear about the good things from the great people, and the “other” people didn’t realize their good fortune. They walked right by the glory that is spring, and stepped on the hellebore looking for their good fortune.

Congratulations Margaret! You have lots of people to share with.