t

tell the truth: do you like to mow?

tools-of-tradeIT’S A SIMPLE QUESTION: DO YOU LIKE TO MOW? Unless, of course, like me you have a love-hate thing going with mowing. I am always irritated that there’s mowing to be done. But I am also always relieved, since “mowing to be done” means legitimate escape from things like writing, which sometimes has me circling the airport, not landing the plane, if you know what I mean. Mowing: Now there is something with immediate, tangible results.  You cut the grass blades, and they look cut. You try to write and, well, sometimes you don’t get any words.  So tell me, do you like to mow? Going out to mow now…

1. Jessica says:

LOVE TO MOW!! I actually get mad if my husband does it. My son is now 13 and I know I should be teaching him some responsiblity and letting him learn how to mow…but I am so selfish!!

2. bluearrow says:

‘on the day that you were born
    the angels got together
    and decided to create a supreme mowing queen?’

That must be the uncut version – the one I don’t have. Could I borrow it?

3. Anna says:

I hate it and dh loves it. I want to remove it all and put good old plants in. He likes wide open spaces. I figure he’ll burn out about the same time as the mower. Then I’ll win.

4. Linda says:

I hate grass so much that I got out there with a pick axe and hacked it all out. It wasn’t that large an area but the dirt was like cement-probably why the grass looked so bad-and those roots went everywhere. We put in a cute little round bricked in area and gravel. No watering, no fertilizing and no mowing. Perfect.

5. Sylvia says:

I am surprised how many people love to mow! The one job I do not do is mowing! Unfortunately my husband hates it as well, it doesn’t help that our garden is on quite a steep slope. The day is coming that he will no longer be able to do it. I am gradually digging the grass up so only a little bit will be left and then I am going to learn to love the flowers in the lawn!

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

6. turling says:

I agree with Linda. We’ve removed, roughly, 30% of our grass already and when we are done will have about 25% of the original amount left. I’m replacing that with something that requires as little water as possible and even less mowing. I hate mowing and watering the lawn (I live in Southern California, where water is a premium). When the kids are older, the remaining 25% will be gone, as well.

7. andre says:

I have been in America for a couple of months now (I am from england) and I have to say you Americans have a serious mowing problem/disorder . Every day and night people mow in our street.

@Andre: I am about to have a print made as you said, yes. I seem to have lost my manners (while rudely mowing). Sorry not to say something properly. I am glad you are happy, and perhaps we will email the updates?

9. andre says:

no. I like it here. plus also I seem to have developed a hot dog addiction.

I hope you liked the original WOODS doodle I emailed you. And I hope you are well.

10. Judy says:

I never minded mowing on the rider except for the noise. I complained about it and dear hubby tied some ear plugs around the steering wheel ;-) (he’s had many joint replacements so I was mowing for him; now he’s back to it and is in his element.)

11. ScentScelf says:

I’m heartily in the LOVE TO MOW camp…but I think I am cheating….

…as much as I enjoy mowing, I enjoy having the lawn mowed by my 14 year old son, who took over the job last year. He earns a few dollars, I still go out and garden (and point out spots/tricks to him), and we both get to enjoy the way it looks after. Because, happy world, HE LOVES TO MOW as well!

Judy: Love your husband’s humor (and am seeking the ultimate earplugs over here myself…any advice?).

Welcome, ScentSelf. I think it sounds like the ultimate good deal for you and your son. Hope we see you again here soon.

13. Barbara says:

I love this question! I never mow, it’s my husband’s job, and I never thought about it before, but he clearly loves it because he is always coming up with reasons why he has to spend an hour or two doing it, even when I can’t see that the lawn needs it. Me, I’d let it go till the dandelions took over. I think it gives him the opportunity to zone out, or to avoid hard work. On the other hand, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him pull a weed, and to tell the truth, I enjoy that chore. Lucky we found each other!

14. Joe Caltagirone says:

I am one of the few fellows on my block that still mows his own grass. (Most folks outsource their mowing to a landscaping service). And yes, I do love it so. Especially in the spring when the grass is carpet like and the finished product is a wonderful carpet of green. ;)

Welcome, Joe. I love that you have remained the master of your swath of green, and “get” why you like those early springtime mowings best of all. Hope we see you here soon again.

16. I love mowing. I could do it all day, happily. It is easy to do and thrillingly immediately—you can see whether you did a job well done or not right away. It so much easier and more pleasurable than cleaning house, don’t you think?

17. Dee/reddirtramblings says:

I love to mow. For me, it inspires zen-like thinking. Now weedeating is quite another matter.~~Dee

Welcome, Kari. So mowing=quieter than 6 kids, wow. What a woman won’t do for some silence, huh? :) I am about to head out when the dew dries and push the smaller mower around again. See you again soon, I hope.

19. Kari says:

Yes, I love to mow. I do most of it myself, with a push mower that I bought for myself even though we have teenaged boys and a riding mower. It’s my exercise and “quiet” time (I know, not too quiet! But, I have six kids, LOL). I put on my iPod and shades, stuff a cold water bottle in my pocket and I am in my own little world. It takes several days to do the entire yard, so I do let the boys help. But I love to do it myself.

Welcome, Julia. Little effort for immediate results sounds good to me, too. Why isn’t all life that way? :)

21. Julia says:

There is something so satisfying about mowing. I have a big Gravely garden tractor and it can cut through just about anything–even waist-high brambles. There is so little effort required for such immediate results. That’s the main thing I like, I guess.

22. Bill says:

Well, I like to mow; there’s something about a neat, well-trimmed lawn. But every other time I mow, I think why don’t I do something more creative with this westward facing front yard of mine? I’ve taken some small steps by yanking out my azaleas that occupied a 18 by 5 foot area right by the house foundation and putting in tropical plants plus tomatoes and peppers, and in an adjacent side area, I’ve put in small shrubs, hosta, and hydrangea, but most of the front yard remains a blank canvas, for what, is the question?

Comments are closed.