IN CONJUNCTION with the only spring Garden Conservancy Open Day at my Copake Falls, New York, garden, plus a daylong plant sale by Broken Arrow Nursery, Katherine Tracey of Avant Gardens is putting on two succulent-themed special events June 4 here, too. The day’s lineup:
- 10-4 PM: Garden open, plus rare plant sale by Broken Arrow Nursery. A $7 suggested donation benefits the Garden Conservancy (or just shop the plant sale without visiting, no admission charge). Directions. T
- Plant-sale tip: You can pre-order specific items including landscape-size specimens or multiples of something from Broken Arrow for delivery here that day; call for consultation at (203) 288-1026.
- 11 AM: “Succulent Love” talk by Katherine Tracey, just down the road from the garden.
- 1:30-3:30 PM: Hands-on “Succulents Contained” workshop; go home with your own lavish creation. For succulent talk and workshop, register using the Eventbrite form at the bottom of this page; space is very limited.
- Also: Several other private gardens nearby are open that day as part of the Garden Conservancy Open Days program. Details.
Full lecture and class descriptions below, along with ticket ordering for succulent events:
11 am lecture: ‘succulent love’
PRACTICALLY carefree, with low water needs and available in amazing forms in nuanced colors that mix and match beautifully…that’s why succulents have been the rage in horticulture in recent years.
In this visually rich talk, longtime collector, nursery owner and garden designer Katherine Tracey will share some of her favorite ways of using both hardy and tender succulents in Northeastern gardens, including using them as ingredients in mixed planters, vertical gardens and lately as the subject of long-lasting cut material for floral.
Prepare to be astonished.
1:30-3:30 pm: ‘succulents contained,’ hands-on workshop
GET CREATIVE with succulents in containers. Katherine Tracey will begin this hands-on workshop with a container-planting demo, and then it’s your turn: Each person should bring a 12-inch-diameter container (shallow is good, in a neutral color). Katherine will bring an assortment of plants, at least 10 provided per person ($75 value). 15-person limit; book early.
NOTE: Workshop registrants will receive specific directions to the location of the afternoon event, just down the road from the garden in Copake Falls, NY. If fair weather, we will be able to work outdoors.