d

doodle by andre: lost anything in the yard lately?

YESTERDAY, IT WAS MY READING GLASSES; the week before, a favorite trowel. What is it with the garden that it has to be so hungry, so greedy–swallowing up all my belongings one at a time? Lost anything in your garden lately? (Thanks, Andre Jordan, for this vintage doodle.)

1. Mary Ahern says:

After losing my favorite cultivator too many times I finally painted the handle on the latest new one with bright yellow paint. Now I can spot it whenever it decides to play hide and seek with me under the shrubs or in a planting hole.

On a more expensive note I lost the camera I use to document my garden but found it a few days later where it was sitting on a bench in the woodland walkways…in the rain.

2. Marj says:

This is “so me!!!!” If I didn’t have enough trouble keeping track of my ten or so store glasses inside the house, now I have an even better, more elusive venue opportunity, ha! Don’t even mention those horrid glasses chains–they sure don’t work for me.

Me, too, Marj, as you can see. And the chain ones outside int he garden are all bad — if you bend over a wheelbarrow or mower you can get the caught. Dangerous!

3. Lynn says:

Last year while gardening in Connecticut, I placed my eyeglasses on a short rock wall where I was working–they are for distance and as I was working up close in the dirt I didn’t need them at the time–when with in minutes, a very large black crow (or such bird) swooped down latched onto them and carried them away into the air and far away! Only thing my optometrist and I can figure out is that the metal frames must have been reflecting the sun, and for some reason appealed to the bird! That was an expensive loss while gardening!

That’s hilarious, Lynn. Crows are amazing. My sister put leftover Xmas cookies in her compost last winter and within 2 minutes they swooped in and were all flying around with bright-coloed stars and santas in their mouths.

4. R.T. Wolfe says:

I haven’t lost anything in my garden, but I did find my husband’s cell phone. I do get in a hurry, though, in my garage and don’t always put things away where they belong. Great stories, very fun.
    Nice post!
    -R.T. Wolfe

5. Barb says:

My stress — started gardening ‘seriously’ about 13-15 years ago when the stress at the job I had at the time was so high I felt like I couldn’t be in the house when I came home. So I industriously made new beds and planted into the dark with the mosquitoes for diversion. Been hooked ever since

6. Dahlink says:

Margaret, I would love to see video of those birds flying off with Christmas cookies! (Alas, there is no such thing as “leftover cookies” in my house).
    I inadvertently made a disastrous tool loan to one of the graduate students who works with me. We have duplicate garden tools since my in-laws moved to an apartment years ago. I let Christina borrow a spade, a hoe, and a garden fork long-term. All was well until my husband said “Where is Dad’s favorite spade?” Gosh–they looked identical to me!
    Maybe that was payback for the time long-suffering husband decided we had way too many empty plastic pots in the garage. He did ask permission to clean them out, and I said yes–only to realize later that he had taken them ALL, including the ones that hid our spare key to the house. They had gone to a local garden center for reuse. I rushed over there at once, but the key was never found.

7. Beverly says:

I lost a good number of pounds in the garden, mercifully.

I lost then found the compost thermometer many times, being overzealous in dumping my loads of leaves or chipped greens fresh from the chipper. I lost then found a good, sturdy cultivator which revealed itself in winter, 3/4 of the way down but near the edge of the chain link compost bin. Had to wait for a thaw to retrieve it, but was glad to know it was in there.

Someone lost a cannonball (or what looked like a cannonball) in my back yard decades ago and I dug it up, used it as a decorative globe until my Dad insisted I call the local police because he was afraid it would explode. Their bomb expert stopped over and declared it not a cannonball but possibly a shot put. And it was near the shift change so a trio of his policemen buddies also stopped in for the free entertainment. I am still nervous around this dense, iron ball.

On an eerily similar note, someone lost a bullet in my garden which I found BELOW AN UPTURNED TERRA COTTA POT. The pot had a BULLET HOLE IN IT !!! This occurred in the middle of an established residential neighborhood in January. When the cops came that time, their main question was “Which way was the bullet hole in the pot facing?” No clue. They took away the bullet but I got to keep the pot.

I confess, Margaret, that this collection of postings made me laugh out loud like no others I have read on your blog. Loved them all !!

8. Dee Langston says:

One day, when I can find them all, I’m going to paint all of my trowels and other hand tools bright orange, along with both pair of scissors, which I use when I’ve lost the shears. Things just vanish back there. I have three shovels, but this morning, I couldn’t find a single one.

9. Barb says:

Oh! I have not been able to find my pruning shears! Either of the two! Upon commenting – on TWO different occasions, my husband has said he may have borrowed them…………but, they have not reappeared

10. Arthur says:

That’s funny because I was pulling up a large weed and its roots were wrapped around a water nozzle I must have lost 4 or 5 years ago. I always wondered what happened to it!

11. Deborah Banks says:

Me too, glad to hear it’s not just me. But I have this fantasy that once I have a real tool shed, and thus a designated home for things, that my problems will be no more. Now I leave some tools or gloves on the dryer by the back door, some on the table in the barn, some on the stone wall by the basement door, etc. I spend the first 20 minutes looking for my shovel, my gloves, my pruners, or my favorite weeder. It’s discouraging to see so many comments from people who currently do have a tool shed.

12. Petunia says:

Yes, I once lost my weeder. It looks like something out of a kung-fu movie and was the one tool I LOVED. I had been “cleaning” up the garden and I put it in the bucket I was using to throw out the weeds. I dumped the weeds and weeder over my fence into the woods behind my house. It took me two months to find it. Fortunately, it was still there, a little dirtier and smellier, but its back where it belongs. :)

13. Marcia says:

the ring I wear (wore) on my thumb went last fall into the pile of shredded leaves, which I would use this spring to mulch my beds. even borrowed a metal detector to scan for it, to no avail! :(

14. Daisy Marshall says:

Well Margaret as you know I don”t have a garden, but I just lost my gloom reading these comments! Thank you and all the avid gardeners! D Marshall

15. Louise says:

My favorite towel as well! I searched everywhere I’d pruned and planted. A week later, after buying a replacement… my dear husband found mine under a bunch of pruned branches I hadn’t cleared. Thank goodness.

16. lynn says:

My cutco ratched pruners! Doesn’t help that they are black….lost them last year for a month and then found them in a flower bed…hoping the same things happens again and then it will be time for bright orange tape!

Hi, Marcia. Ouch! I always take off my rings because I once lost one (found it eventually) outside and I was frantic. Sorry.

Hi, Petunia. Lucky you that it resurfaced! I am still hoping for one particular trowel to show up when we turn the compost later in the year…

Hi, Lynn. Pruners can get expensive to lose, and if they stay damp for awhile outside they are useless. So sorry!

17. Elizabeth says:

Talk about losing garden items—over a lifetime of gardening, I have lost–and found–a boatload of clippers, scissors, spaders, big and small shovels, etc.. My recent habit of keeping ALL 4 essential tools ON my kneeler pad has helped; also, my daughter has taped all my tools with bright red tape. I hope to continue gardening until at least age 92. Currently, 80, so want my favorite tools handy. Thank you all, so much, for the funny “lost items” stories.

18. Petunia says:

Hope you find your trowel. I read in a gardening book, that you should paint the handles of all your tools a bright pink or other glaringly bright color so that you can find it easily. Great advice, but one I have yet to follow!

19. JudyW says:

Reading glasses are always disappearing and being replaced. Added a lost pair to the collection when my husband turned over the compost pile and there they were. Also, found my favorite Felco pruners in same pile. Now that is the first place I look for lost items.

20. Donna Minick says:

My constant and continuing loss are my gardening gloves. I go out to my garden with the best of intentions, all properly gloved, and then I find that the gloves prevent me from pulling up some small weed or doing another chore requiring manual dexterity and off come my gloves, never to be seen again.

21. Patricia says:

My hori-hori (Japanese farmer’s weeding tool) knife is a frequent disappearing act- am now on my fourth….having lost (and much later found) several over the years.
    It has become the indispensible tool so when one goes missing, after a few days I replace it……. but this record is over 20 years or so and one of my lost and founds now lives in Portland Oregon where it is also loved and used regularly. Currently looking for one lost earlier this spring!

22. Ann says:

I’m so glad to hear it’s not just me! My husband always looks at me like “really??” when I turn up without the clippers I went out with — again. So far this year I think I’m down three tools so far… Ack!

Down three so far, Ann? Yes, probably about that here, too. I did find my glasses, though! May stumble on the rest before long..

Hi, Patricia. I love the hori-hori. Great tool for in the cracks and crevices of the patio, too.