&

‘a way to garden’ in the washington post

I WASN’T SURE WHAT TO THINK when the frogboys invited Washington Post garden editor Adrian Higgins over for lunch not long ago (well, except I was sure that I’d be doing the cooking, or we’d be eating slug sushi).  But charm him they did, apparently, and Thursday’s story in The Post about us is likewise charming (as is its horticulturally expert, dapper and wickedly droll author).

The boys and I extend a huge thanks to Adrian, whom you can meet in the videos he’s been creating on The Post’s website. I loved this video about tomatoes, in which he combined visits with DC-area community gardeners and with our mutual friend Amy Goldman, the heirloom tomato queen who lives not far from me. Adrian’s recent story on Amy is a must-read as well.

Also thanks to my very dear friend Erica Berger, who performed trick photography during the Washington Post photo shoot, so that (finally) a photo of Mother of the Frogboys that’s more recent than me at age 3 appears here.  I didn’t see any of Erica’s photos that ran in the paper, or others from her shoot including this one, on The Post’s website…just the story itself is there…so enjoy the read, at least.

By the way, you can follow me on Twitter, or join our A Way to Garden Facebook group if social-media tools like those are to your liking.

Categorieswoo woo

Thanks to you all for the kind words (and yes, Brian, you are correct…it was the biggest of the bullfrogs who finally wrested the camera from me).

Welcome to Laura (LOVE the expression “tortured dance,” yikes), and also to Barbara (and yes, Adrian is quite the expert on all fronts…and such fun). Thank you both for stopping in, and don’t be strangers.

2. Brian G. says:

Very nice. More like a little essay than article. And I don’t believe for a minute a five fingered hand took that photo. You’ve been teaching those frogs how to work that camera, haven’t you?

3. Laura Overstreet says:

Margaret –
    I read Adrian Higgins’article in the Washington Post today about you — I am so inspired! I, too, am a gardener working in the city and I have a weekend cottage in the countryside where I garden. I have been doing the “tortured dance” of weekends in the country for five years. I am about to do what you have done…will soon be consulting part-time from home…and am so happy to have crossed over this bridge to a new way of life!

4. Barbara says:

Adrian Higgins knows how to garden and how to write. I thoroughly enjoyed his piece about you and your garden. At the age of 65 (not relevant, I know) I found myself thinking as I read it, “Try to remember the kind of September…yellow…mellow…”. It also made me wistful for the days I sat on a bench in our yard in Kansas City looking at the gardens I had planted and watching the birds at my feeders.

5. Jennifer Louden says:

The article and your posts on Twitter are inspiring me. When I ate some really good tomatoes yesterday I thought of you and how you eat and just how much better it feels on all levels.

Welcome to Jody (how ARE you?) and Jennifer Louden (boy, do I need one of your consults about now, Ms. Comfort Queen). Nice of both of you to send your wishes.

7. Eddie From Tennessee says:

Greetings from your long lost Southern friend and fan.

Lovely article in the Post and my wife, sons and family THANK YOU as well for my new addiction: Twitter. And yes, I have been officially following “A Way To Garden” and a couple of other tweeps as “Brody&CalsDad!”

I cannot wait to see what you do next Margaret! Take good care in that nippy Copake night air as the low this am in Chattanooga was 70 degrees!

P.S. Now if my prayer of having you return as a special contributor/consultant to Homegrown Radio could be answered…all would be well in the world.

8. Tracey says:

Oh, Margaret. Sweet article . . . !

I did that dance, too. Working for Rolling Stone and heading out of the city on the weekends. Blech.

Your life sounds truly charmed now . . . I’m so happy for you and that you made the leap. *And*, that you are blogging :). Your garden chores sections is like a on-line garden-along. Awesome . . .

9. Kathy says:

Great article, great frogboys…I wish I was in my garden. But your blog transports me there from my desk at work. I’m so glad I found it, thanks to Anne Raver’s NYT.

10. Layanee says:

OK, a Kubota and not a John Deere? LOL :) Orange looks good on you but I am a green girl! Very nice article especially today, a day of remembrance, which is all too clear a memory for you, I am sure.

11. Kerry says:

Congrats! What a wonderful article. I love your site – it is truly delightful, inspirational and informative. When I moved out of Manhattan in 2001 to Maine, a friend warned me that the hardest thing about leaving NYC is that you have to learn to live on your own energy. It took awhile to adjust, but now I find that I give energy to my gardens and they give it right back.

So happy to see all of you here this morning, thanks.

Welcome, Kerry. I am marching outside right now to tell those gardens to give me more ENERGY (as I seem to be about to fall face down on the floor from overdoing it a little lately). I will tell them you said that’s how it works (and of course I agree, just joking).

@Layanee: No DEER in the garden here, with or without the last E. And orange is my color. Even the trim on my house is orange. :)

13. Amy Goldman says:

Margaret,

Congratulation on the beautiful portrayal in today’s Washington Post. (And I’m so proud to know you!) Our mutual friend, Adrian Higgins, has done you justice. I agree entirely with Adrian: A Way to Garden is one of the most splendid gardening books ever. You’ve enriched our lives and our gardens. I treasure you, Margaret, and the way you live your life.

Amy

14. Susan says:

Margaret,

What an amazing article. Congratulations. A fitting subject on such a day. There are angels looking at us. Please take time and be proud of yourself.
    Peace,
    Susan

15. jane gross says:

So many of us (mostly women, I’d venture) seem to be leaving the world of hermitically sealed office buildings, time outside only after the sun has set, bosses who rule our lives 24/7, foolishly expensive work clothes, wasted time commuting and (yes)even thos reassuring weekly paychecks for a middle-aged voyage into the unknown. You did it earlier than most and with such verve and optimism. Thank you for pointing the way. (And I’m still waiting for my FedExed dilly beans!)