3/23/19: my 9th annual seedy saturday event, at turtle tree seed
THE 9TH ANNUAL Seedy Saturday will be welcomed back to Turtle Tree Seed in Copake, NY, on March 23, 2019 for talks and expert demos, followed by hands-on sowing in the greenhouses. Learn to start seeds like a pro—both the timing, techniques, and aftercare—and go home with a flat full you sowed yourself.
Join me, Margaret Roach, and my beloved neighbors from Turtle Tree, the nation’s leading biodynamic seed company, for this special opportunity to visit their inspiring headquarters and learn by watching, then doing. Proceeds from Seedy Saturday benefit nonprofit Turtle Tree at Camphill Village, a community of people, some with special needs, who live and work together caring for each other and the Earth, following practices inspired by Rudolf Steiner.
This might just be my favorite event of the year–what’s not to love about a gang of gardeners sowing seeds madly together?–and I hope to see you there. Order a ticket now (or using the form at the bottom of this story).
- Note: for all my 2019 events, including garden tours, start at this other page
“Every time I visit Camphill and Turtle Tree, I don’t just learn something new about gardening–but I go away feeling inspired and hopeful that such a place exists in this mad, mad world,” says Margaret. You will, too.
You’ll also have a chance to shop from all 350 Turtle Tree seed varieties with your “personal shoppers” and TTS co-managers Ian Robb and Lia Babitch alongside to help make tough choices (unless you have room for all 350!).
Margaret, Ian and Lia will each showcase their unique, must-have personal “favorites” from among the embarrassment of great choices.
In your choice of half-day session (choose morning or afternoon when ordering a ticket), we’ll split our time between classroom, demos, and Q&A, and then apply it all in greenhouse. We will cover these topics and more (come armed with your questions!):
- Why use local and organic seeds, anyway?
- How to do a germination test with leftover seed
- When to sow what (using the Stella Natura calendar or other calculating tactics)
- What to start indoors or direct sow: strategic advice
- How to shop for germinating medium, or blend your own
- Fill the flat right, sow to the right depth, and water correctly
- Garden hygiene tips for healthy plants and disease and pest prevention
- Succession-sowing schedules for continuous supply
- Transplanting and aftercare
- Special tips for trickier seed and crops (like root crops, e.g.)
In the middle: a refreshment break, with goodies from the famous Camphill Bakery, including cookies, rolls & spreads plus coffee or tea.