refresher course: thinking about starting seeds
IT’S TOO EARLY HERE to start anything for the vegetable garden but leeks and onions, as I mentioned in the March chores, but it’s never too soon to brush up on seed-starting timing and tactics. To that end, a little refresher course:
- In case you haven’t ordered: My Resource Links include many favorite catalogs.
- Any leftover seeds on hand? How to tell if they are still viable.
- So when do you sow what? These seed-sowing calculators can clarify.
- Me? I basically just lump things into groupings that need similar time indoors, like this.
- Always start with fresh seed-starting mix (not potting soil!). My basic seed-starting how-to, in a little slideshow.
- Want the short course, all in one? My top-20 seed-starting FAQs summed up.
- If it’s tomato tips you’re interested in specifically, how to grow a tomato, seed to harvest. (Note: I won’t start mine till April 15.)
- And maybe you need some cheap plant labels for all those babies?