garden open day today: a mini virtual tour

May 30, 2009 Margaret Roach patio gardenT ODAY IS OPEN DAY AT A WAY TO GARDEN, THE FIRST THIS SEASON. It’s been a little hectic (understatement), but I’m as ready as I can get. In case you can’t make it, here’s a small peek at some of the goings-on. Enjoy your “walk” around.

Click on the first thumbnail to start your tour, then navigate from slide to slide using the arrows beside each caption.

May 31, 2009

comments

Wow! I really enjoyed “walking” through your garden. Beautiful! Would love to see it for real. So many questions! How deep + wide are your frog ponds? Do they attract critters like raccoons? What do you do with your Japanese Maples in pots over the winter? You have a lot of clay pots. (I love them) As they dry out really quickly, are you just really good at watering, or do you line them?

When I saw Caramel at the garden centre I thought it odd looking and wondered how it could look good in the landscape. Now you’ve shown me!

Your rhododendrons – wow! Just overall, a lovely space your garden is. Love your house + the colour it is painted too.

2. Lisa says

3. Joan says

Thank you so much for the tour. I really enjoyed it. I love that you caption each photo; it adds so much. It’s as if we were both in your garden.

Welcome Sarah, Catherine, Kassy….rushing out but wanted to say a fast hello and thanks for “visiting.”

Fast answers: Japanese maple pots go in barn (unheated) all winter. Clay pots are unlined but pretty large, and I water religiously. Pools are 12×10 by 3 deep and 8 round-ish by 1-1/2 deep. Yes, critters galore…weasels, skunks, raccoons, everybody drinks from the pool (of course birds, snakes, frogs, insects as well do).

More later.

5. Lisa says

Wow! Your garden is AMAZING…everything is so lush! It is obvious that you love gardening and have spent years cultivating and nurturing it…Your home’s architectural style and color is a wonderful backdrop to the gardens and I especially like that you included a ribster as a closing view, as we know how the frog boys and newby’s are such a part of your world. I hope Jack the Demon Cat is also enjoying the garden! You are truly a MASTER gardener in the fullest sense. I SO enjoy and appreciate A Way to Garden! It reflects your generosity and creativity. Thanks for sharing! BTW – I don’t know how you EVER were able to leave this slice of heaven to go into the City all those years! You *had* to be homesick all the time! Arrrrggggh!

Yes, amazing! You have done a great job. I’m exhausted just thinking of all the work. My garden is about the size of your frog pond and it’s a lot of work. (Okay, maybe a little bigger.) Thanks for sharing.

Margaret…now, I am in heaven!! Where do I start to “ohh” and “ahh” over the beautiful refuge you have created for friends and critters! I will linger a bit longer amongst your lush garden beds on my tour, if you don’t mind!

Thank you for sharing your gifts and talents!
    Debbykay at Rose Cottage Gardens and Farms

Margaret, it’s all so lovely and inspiring. We just picked up a load of stone and I made Pete look at your gravel terrace and ponds. What is growing between your stones around the large pond? We’re going to add a firepit area, but there may be enough for a small pond, too.

Fabulous! Looove your garden and the gravel terrace looks so nice. Now I want one too! And the red honeysuckel(?) a beauty. Thanks for a really inspiring tour.

10. Peter says

A beautiful slide show! And I agree that the color of your house is ideal. So ideal, that I’d like to know what it is. We have an unpainted/unstained cedar-sided house in Columbia County and we would love to appropriate your color. Do you recall the color/manufacturer?

11. Robin says

Here in Central TX we are over our spring and everything in the garden is hunkering down for the onslaught of another drought- ridden summer.Your lovely pictures have taken me back to my years in Columbia County and I’m flooded with memories of how lovely,lush and full of anticipation this time of year is in upstate NY. Thank you for the tour of your stunning garden. So sad about the froggies…

Just lovely. Thank you so much for sharing so much. I was hoping to make it to the open day today but couldn’t figure out the logistics so I’m very grateful for the photo tour. What a place you’ve created – bravo!

13. heather says

Your garden always inspires me – this time with the Japanese Maples planted in big pots. I have two I’m planting up in pots this summer as my new backyard is completely enclosed in a cement pool surround, so it’s pots, pots, pots. What do you do with the Japanese maples in the winter? Do they need to go inside a shed or even an unheated porch?

Margaret, how generous of you to post the tour for those of us too far away to visit! I admit to checking in yesterday, seeing Andre’s doodle and thinking “well, she has too much on her plate this weekend, wish I could be there..” Then voila, I am! Thanks so much for sharing.

• says

Welcome, Shelly. We had a great day…which I will post an update about as soon as I eat lunch (now that it’s suppertime) and maybe have a glass of wine. :) Come see us soon again.

Welcome, Robin…ex-neighbor, it seems, and now a Texan! Nice of you to “come visit.” Hope that I see you here (digitally or really) soon again.

@Erin: Re: the groundcover sedum, it’s a very common kind called Sedum lineare ‘Golden Teardrop’.

@Denden: Jack is passed out; I think it was the treats you brought him. :)

15. Elizabeth says

Margaret, Thank you so much for this tour. I was a lucky visitor today. Having this tour is an added bonus because now my friends and I can learn about so many of the plants we admired in your garden.

What I want to know is where you find the time to do it all? Tending the garden would be more than most could handle, and yet you also find time to give the rest of us this wonderful blog with all the information, and wisdom you share. Thank you so much for all that you do.

Oh wow, what a beautiful garden. Thank you so much for the virtual tour, for those of who can’t come for a real one. You must work so hard to get it looking so good prior to one of your “open garden” days. It’s all worth it!

I’m sure you’re busy but I’d love to know what sedum (I presume that’s what it is) is growing between the fieldstones. What a lovely chartreuse!

17. denden says

margaret,
    thanks for opening up your garden today. i had a great time walking around. i liked the new area you put in up the hill & to the left toward the fence. thanks for the tip about cardboard to start beds, i’m going to try it this year.
    denden
    ps, i hope i’m not “spoiling” jack with the treats…lol