May 13, 2010

comments

I have them both, too in my small garden. Kousa Dogwood is very beautiful but the layered branches and gorgeous flowers of the Double File Viburnum takes my breath away.

2. Terryk says

decisions, decisions…

Sounds like the doublefile viburnum is getting more votes. If I want that layered look that grows with the horizontal form I need plicatum var. tomentosum, correct?

Will it be happy in a shadier spot or more sun. I do want the berries.

3. Terryk says

decisions, decisions…

Sounds like the doublefile viburnum is getting more votes. If I want that layered horizontal form with the white flowers and red berries I need plicatum var. tomentosum, correct?

Will it be happy in a shadier spot or will it do better in more sun? I do want the berries.

• says

@Terryk: Sun to part shade is good. There are many varieities, some more and less horizontal. Here’s one list to scan, but also ask at your best woody plant nursery. If I recall correctly, the idea is this on pollination: Plant another VARIETY of the same SPECIES to improve fruit set. So I have ‘Mariesii’ and ‘Shasta’ and some other doublefile (maybe ‘Watanabe’ but can’t recall), and they make each other happy, e.g.

4. Terryk says

Oh, another question, do you need more than one to cross pollinate and get good flower and berry set?

5. Terryk says

Thanks so much for all your help, especially that link Margaret.

I have two viburnums in my garden now that bloom on and off but never set berries (much to my disappointment). This year they are starting to look as if they are growing a bit more horizontal.

After reading this link, I am thinking they are either plicatum or ‘Summer Snowflake’ thye don’t produce any or many berries. ‘Summer Snowflake’ it reads blooms on and off till late fall, and these do that.

I now have to find one that is named and is known for berry set.