Pruning Holly into a standard

Home Forums Tree & Shrub Questions Pruning Holly into a standard

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have two mature holly plants – they are getting way too big for the front of the house.

I was wondering if it is possible to prune then into standard trees?

Not in one pruning of course, but start by sowing off lower branches. And then in winter prune them into the shape of a tree?

Or is this going to kill them? I realize standard trees are trained into the shape. But I missed this opportunity.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Hollies usually respond well to being limbed up. Does it have more than one trunk?

Anonymous

Leslie, thank you for replying. Yes, they do have several trunks, so looks like I am a bit late with a standard shape. But I need to do something – they will soon block the entrance. I will try Cloud pruning – unless you can recommend something else.

Thanks!

Anonymous

If there is a straight trunk among the bunch, you might be able to cut out one trunk per year until you are left with just the one that you prefer. The trick is not to remove more than one third of the plant per year. I would do this major pruning during the late winter/early spring. But I like the cloud pruning idea.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.