flocked frog: party girl in green velveteen

flocked frog 2
EVERY SUMMER, SOMEONE OF THE AMPHIBIAN PERSUASION sets up housekeeping in the seasonal water gardens by my kitchen door–a pair of big glazed clay troughs I fill with water and floating plants. This year’s renter: a female green frog who’s inclined to wearing something skimpy in green velveteen at poolside. (If you don’t have a water garden in a pot to enjoy, it’s easy; here’s how, and it’s not too late to get one going.)

July 15, 2011

comments

1. Deborah says

Nice outfit! She looks quite tame. We just had a new pond dug out in the wet part of the field just above the house, and it’s filling slowly. There’s a spring there and the field is always too wet there to mow, so we’re hoping this will work. Even though the bulldozer operator was sort of an idiot, and left the pond banks in really bad shape, and with no overflow. (It turns out hiring the uncle of our young neighbors across the road may not be the best way to choose a bulldozer man. Who knew?)

• says

Glad to hear it, Dru. Probably the most enjoyable “container” garden here year in and out is the one merely full of water and floating plants (oh, and frogs).

I just came in from watering pots in anticipation of a 90 degree day. Out hopped a frog from under a begonia — not happy to be awakened early! I’m sure it hopped back into the pot after I walked away. I love giving them homes!

Almost stepped on a small frog while watering the dahlias yesterday! He had ventured far from our pond…maybe he saw the egrets stalking him!

4. Terri says

I so want to do this! I’m thinking under an arch that a clematis is climbing? I’ve always loved frogs.

5. ann says

Have had some large metal bowls that I got at a rummage sale in Bozeman and still have not dug them in. This inspires me to get going on just another of the many inspirations here.

I love watching frogs and looking at the their different colors. I do have to admit though that when they jump they kind of freak me out. I have this irrational fear that they are going to land in my mouth hahaha. When I was little I had a frog that lived under a board on our porch and I will sit and talk to him for hours. They are amazing and beautiful little creatures….. I love your picture, beautiful.

7. Martha Ellen Figart says

I have a frog that has taken up residence in the pots on my patio! He is quite cute and seems happy among the moisture of the potted plants. I am interested though in finding out how they get into a populated subdivision. There are no natural habitats anywhere near my property. I have lived here for 38 years and have on occassion seen frogs.

• says

Hi, Martha. I don’t think they need much habitat, and though water is needed, many of the species here are also able to cope with a semi-terrestrial life in the moist woods. (Bullfrogs are an exception that I know of — they are true aquatic creatures, so you won’t find them living away from some body of water). I don’t know where you live, but in New York State, for instance, green frogs are reported in virtually every county, as are some other species like Northern spring peepers, etc.

That is a pretty girl. I hardly ever get to see my frogs but I know they’re there because I’ll hear a loud MEEP! and then a splash. Maybe if I provided some pretty “clothes” like what you have with that…..azolla? :-)

• says

Hi, Carol. Yes, the fish eggs can come on a plant — or on the feet of birds. Fascinating, isn’t it? I have my fingers crossed for the arrival of your amphibians. :)