favorite (bawdy) primrose

primula-kisoana.jpgTHERE IS NOTHING PRIM about Primula kisoana, a tart and a thug rolled into one delightful package. Oh, how very yummy. The details:

This Japanese woodlander spreads to create thick mats of scalloped, blue-green, fuzzy foliage, from which erupt (and I think that’s exactly the word) orchid-pink flowers in early spring on 6- or 8-inch stems. It is never shy, and given part shade and a humusy soil it will romp…but in the nicest way.

Arrowhead Alpines Nursery sometimes sells it, and Evermay Nursery often does, too. Once you’ve got it, there will be plenty for a lifetime (and friends). I’ve read about a white variety, but my thought is, why bother when you can have this naughty thing?

May 6, 2008

comments

We have bark chip pathways in our garden, and P. kisoana loves to migrate out into the decomposing bark… lots of nice single plants to passalong!

Don

Welcome, Don..and migrate it does! I scooped up some little hot-pink travelers myself yesterday and gave them to a neighbor, who will have his own crop of wandering primula soon. By the way, the link of your name didn’t go to your blog and I think I fixed it..check me, though.
    M.

3. Mike says

Your garden blog never fails to feature some wonderful flower or plant I have never heard of or seen before. My Sunset and other garden books are near me so I can “read up” on them. These primroses are beautiful – they can creep in my yard anytime.

Welcome, Mike, to the blog. I am so glad you are finding fun new things. And we have barely begun…a whole year lies ahead, each season with its own treasures.

The only primroses I knew of were those they sell in the garden centers in the spring. And I don’t really care for them. But this primula looks interesting and maybe there is room in my garden for it. (And apparently I’d need to plan a lot of room for it).

6. Amanda says

These are beauts! Do deer like them? I’m in upper Westchester County where the deer eat everything, even geranium flowers!

7. Deb says

I’ve never been a fan of primroses (I find them too squatty and tired looking after their bloom), but this one might just change my mind. I have a native woodland that I am working on ‘editing’ a bit — snipping out the blackberries and adding some woodland plants along the paths. I think I’ll give this one a try. Thanks.

• says

Welcome, Deb. Yes, if you are not a primrose-type then this is the primrose for you. :) It’s in bloom right now and I am happy to see it screaming across the yard at me from here and there. A good plant. See you soon again.

What I bought as primula kisoana looks nothing like this fabulous plant. Mine are much smaller and pale as ghosts in comparison. If I have the white ones, you are SO right not to bother looking for them. But I have to find your stunner. Then let it spread!

• says

Welcome, Pat. The flowers are really hot-colored for quite some time, then they start to fade to unremarkable pinks before going to seed. Maybe they are just late in their bloom cycle? (Hoping, hoping.) See you soon again, I also hope.