august-tour aftermath: any more incoming feet?

fat toadSOMEONE FELL ASLEEP IN A CHAIR LAST NIGHT AT 8, but this toad (loyal old tight-lipped friend that he is) is not saying who. In fact, he’s not saying much today other than good morning, before hopping away to hide behind the big pots in case carloads of people arrive at the gate for any more garden tours. We’re exhausted, as is the garden, but in case you weren’t here during or between storms yesterday for Copake Falls Day, we’ll give you a little look around.

Click on the first thumbnail to start the slideshow, then toggle from image to image using the arrows beside each caption. Enjoy.

August 23, 2009

comments

1. Bobster says

Margaret, thanks for the virtual tour! It all looks beautiful and of course so different from spring. The grasses are so lush and the Brugs is just impossibly gorgeous.

I’m smitten with the Vriesia by your door. It literally stopped me in my tracks at your last tour…stunning!

2. Cathybytheriver says

I spent the morning doing a few garden chores, getting really muddy (I wonder why?) when it started to…you guessed it–rain. After washing off hands & feet, I checked Twitter which directed me to your spectacular garden slide show. Just lovely! I hope you find a garden table & chair set to put on your terrace–you deserve a chance to sit and enjoy a cool drink and realize, yes, you do inspire the rest of us. Many thanks! Catherine Kurczynski–gardening in Western New York

Looks lovely! I can’t believe you had time to do a post and slide show after all the pre-work, storms and visitors. Thank you for sharing, your garden is such an incredible inspiration.

Your photos are so coolly refreshing. I had to stop and heave quite a few sighs.

Only heat and more heat here in Texas. A community garden show was cancelled. Their grassy paths are struggling too much to tolerate foot traffic and nobody can justify watering enough to have anything much to look at.

Earlier today we discovered a potted Meyer lemon tree that has somehow not gotten its portion from our automated system. We may lose it. That’s the hazard of ducking the heat/sun, by the time we note a problem it may already be too late.

What we are doing here doesn’t so much feel like gardening anymore. It is more like running a plant hospice, and one with not a particularly kind or gentle philosophy at that!

5. Char James-Tanny says

Wow…gorgeous. Thanks for sharing :-)

I’m now wondering if I can grow an Asian pear tree here…

• says

Welcome, Char. Where is “here”? I think they are pretty adaptable (like Zones 5-9 USDA or thereabouts)…are you in a very extreme zone perhaps?

I was one of the lucky ones who got to see your garden in person yesterday. Despite the rain, despite the late August date, it looked terrific. See my blog entry on Copake Falls Day here: http://beebalmgal.blogspot.com/
    There is also a link to the photos I took yesterday.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful corner of the world.

7. Steve Zick says

I agree with all of the above posts–and was wondering where on earth I can get my hands on some pondweed?? Love that look and I have just the pots (sans drainage holes) to turn into instant mini-ponds! Congrats on getting through the tour–the garden looks amazing!

8. Barbara H. says

As always, your property is lovely and inspiring. I haven’t done much in the way of ornamental grasses – always afraid they will spread too much. Suddenly the light dawned – I’m no longer living in the city! I’m here in NE Alabama on 3 acres! So now I’ll have to start investigating the possibilities.
    Thanks again for the wonderful tour, Margaret. You are amazing.

9. dennis r says

margaret,
    thanks for opening your garden again. i never get tired of exploring new corners at your digs. i hope the lung ta spreads only the best of vibes around your house. my son & i put the big root geranium & s. angelina in their “new homes” as soon as we got back. inspired by you, today, i picked up a tiger eyes sumac & a lidakense.
    denden8148

@Bee Balm Gal: Thanks for the great slideshow tour. It was fun to see what you saw.

@Carol: I was charming in my wet hair and hooded black rubber raincoat, I am sure.

@Steve: Now I know, this sounds nutty, but so-called Catfish Logic has a good selection of floating plants each year, as does Ponds, Plants and More (both are mail-order sites).

@Dennis: All good ones! Thanks for coming and bringing sweet gifts again.

@Barbara H: In more than 15 years, I have never had a Miscanthus or Pennisetum or Hakonechloa spread, except for the clumps to get nicely larger. No running sideways. Elymus or Phalaris, watch out…but not the others here in my zone.

11. Suzanne says

Thanks Margaret for opening your garden yesterday. It was such a treat to see. I came from West Hartford, CT to see your gardens and we planned a weekend trip with our family around that event. It was beautiful and left me with many great ideas.

• says

Welcome, Suzanne…and thank you for coming. I only wish I got the time at these days to meet each person properly…but it is so hectic! I am glad there were ideas to take home and hope you won’t be a stranger here on the blog. See you soon again!

12. Colleen says

Margaret, I am so grateful for the inspiration you are to me. There are so many facets of my life that you have made an impression, and today, I reminded about how much inspiration you bring to me as a gardener.

Thank you for sharing all this beauty will all of us.

I am already looking forward to next year, when I will be able to make it physically to your sanctuary.

Margaret, thanks for the virtual tour. As always I am inspired by what you have created. And even more by the level of order and organization. I will do better, I will do better… (but in truth August always has dry spells that defeat my best intentions)

Welcome, John. Usually (as Lori indicates, too), August can be more toasty than swampy. This year it was more cutting stuff down and removing damaged leaves and even whole plants by the cart-ful week after week than watering to try to prevent crispiness. We never used one sprinkler this season; normally we drag them every day from May-ish onward, round and round. All so weird. See you soon again, I hope.

15. Carol Freeman says

Your garden is beautiful and certainly reflects all the care it receives. I have a potted brugmansia blooming but the leaves are not deep green and plentiful. How do you fertilize?
    I have been reading here for about a year. Many thanks for sharing.

16. SusanCC says

I love your pictures, they really makes me think about textures and colors. We have alot of rain in TN also, so much that I am having fungus problems, powdery mildew especially on cucumbers and pumpkins. Do you have any suggestions about where to buy crabapples mail order? I am crazy about the bright red bigger fruited ones and Ralph Shay looks lovely.

Beautiful, Margaret! I can see the effects of all that rain you got (that we didn’t). Everything looks so lush and green!

We too, were on a garden tour this summer (Aug. 9th) and know personally how much work it is to get ready for such a thing. For some reason, it’s just different when you know people are going to be walking through your yard and gardens. Fun, but exhausting!

18. Brian G. says

With all the rain this year I have had a terrible mosquito problem. How do you get away with your water filled containers (the ones with the duck weed) without having them become incubators for the little devils?

19. Melanie says

How do you winter over the Breynia? I bought one this spring and I just love it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

20. Barbara P-H says

Hi Margaret, what lovely photos…so sorry to not be in your area of the world…would love to see your garden in person! Am wondering if you know the name of the fancy leaf begonia in the upper right of your duckweed trough pic? It has very dark foliage with a silver center (kind of a maple leaf shape) I bought the same begonia at Hortilus Farm this summer, but unfortunately it was untagged. Many thanks-I love my daily “visits” with you.