april 4 seed-to-seed workshop
JOIN MARGARET ROACH and two of her favorite seedy friends–the co-founders of Hudson Valley Seed Library catalog, above–for a daylong intensive of learning and fun, at this Seed to Seed Workshop. Read on (or order a ticket now).
- light breakfast, full lunch and afternoon snack provided
- each participant will go home with four 6-packs of sown seed, plus more goodies
This is a rare opportunity to spend a whole day with expert seedsmen in an intimate small-group environment, so come prepared with all your questions. The curriculum will be shaped to accommodate the audience, with plenty of back-and-forth time in addition to more structured demonstrations and hands-on “doing.”
Hudson Valley Seed Library’s co-founder Ken Greene and Doug Muller know a thing or two about seed. They farm it organically for a living, and sell it through the Seed Library catalog, now in its 10th year.
- best practices for starting indoors
- direct sowing in the garden
- tricks of transplanting and timing, including the use of row covers
- pest and disease prevention
- the life cycles of popular vegetables, herbs and flowers
- how to “select” the best individuals at every stage (and discard the rest!)
- succession sowing strategies for long harvests of multiple crops
- …and right through to seed saving at season’s end
Ken and Doug’s years of hands-on experience in our Northeast region means they can recommend the right varieties that work here–including some you may never have dared to try or just don’t know–and also all the cultural tips you’ll need to succeed.
Go home with four six-packs of seedlings you sow yourself, chosen from among many that Ken and Doug will bring along, plus a handheld calculator for when to sow what–and a whole new grasp of what it means to grow from seed like a professional. Additional seeds, row covers by the yard and more will be available for sale.
Host Margaret Roach, who has been growing from seed for more than 25 years, will be on hand throughout to add to the discussion, and to serve up light breakfast plus a full lunch and afternoon snacks. The workshop takes place at her office in Copake Falls, New York; directions will be sent a week ahead to all registrants. More information: